m2

MINUTES of PORT STANLEY VILLAGE ASSOCIATION - 7:00 pm December 7, 2015

Directors Present: Andrew Hibbert, Linda Easton, Janet Kennedy, Doug Chateauneuf, Fred Heinz, Gail Lamb, Harry Bishop, Bruce Fox

Regrets: Wendy MacMillan

Members: Ted Halwa, Dan McNeil, Patricia Fryer, Agnes VerHoeven, Harold Parker, Shelley Stazyk, Louise Maxfield, Bill Harris, John &Wendy Simm, Mark Evans

 

1 CALL TO ORDER

a Janet Kennedy, president, called the meeting to order at 7pm and welcomed all attendees

2 Treasurer`s report:

a Harry Bishop, treasurer reported $4,350.94 minus a bill for advertising and memberships to be added.

 

3 Business

a.    Harbour Vision Committee

1.  A concern was expressed about the lack of communication with council. It was felt that waiting for something to happen on the berm before reinstating the committee was ignoring other important work happening on the harbour.  In keeping with this was a question about the various items upcoming on the harbour.  Janet will ask Dan McNeil to attend the next meeting to talk about them. Andrew will prepare questions.

b.    Fishermen’s Memorial Committee

1.    Andrew”s committee made a presentation to council who has deferred a decision to a budget committee discussion.

c.    Accessibility in the community – Andrew Hibbert and Gail Lamb agreed to be on the committee

d.    Entry Signage – Andrew will meet with Central Elgin staff re location for the signs. Fred Heinz volunteered to help Andrew with upgrade of signage

e.    Dog Park: decision in progress.

f.      Physical activity on the websiteJanet will check with Margo and write to Central Elgin re progress

 

 

 

           

4.    Other Business

a.    Janet asked for issues for 2016

i.     Ron Bates spoke of work he is doing on the large rock near the Fishermen’s Memorial, which is a Kiwanis memorial to the friendship between the U.S. and Canada.  He would like it moved forward and the area south of the bridge enhanced.  He has spoken to the mayor about an event during Friendship Week on July 1, 2017.  Dave McCarthy agreed to work with Ron on the event.

ii.     Need to attract young families - East Road Development is single family units. Need to find out the decision on French students coming to PSPS

iii.     Erie Rest Beach Safety – speak again to Central Elgin re protecting beach area for swimmers

iv.     Concern re: bylaws to be harmonized, widening of roads, and the Prespa application for permission to build a 9 storey building on William Street.  There was discussion about the importance of preserving the village’s quaintness particularly as this is a draw for tourists. . We would like to be part of the process in changing bylaws.  Ted Halwa will present next meeting on bylaws.

 

The meeting adjourned at 8:10 PM